Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I have a new attitude **By Angela**

Okay, so here it is, my first cancer blog post. Dan told me that I could contribute and I replied that no one really wants to hear from me, this is about his journey. He insisted that he needed my highly opinionated reasoning to make it interesting (hmm, should I be offended or proud?... little gray area there)... I am still doubtful, but here it goes...

Dan and I have a unique relationship, because not only are we married and raising a son, but we are business partners as well. Some people think we are crazy for working so closely together, but it just works, I can't explain it. We are total opposites. Dan is much more reserved, conservative and analytical. I have been described as anything but that,usually I am described as outgoing, creative, and probably pushy or obnoxious when I'm not listening. When we first started dating in 2001 our friends were a bit puzzled, they did not initially understand the attraction, we were so different. However, I think they soon realized that our relationship works because we are different. We are a perfect balance for each other, both in our marriage and our business. The reason that VenueQuest still exists 5 years after we started the company is because Dan approves the spending and handles finances. The reason that we have expanded nationwide and get great exposure in the media is because I refuse to allow limitations or obstacles to stand in the way of our growth. If either of us were not part of this business, it would likely not be as successful as it is today. I am not saying that running a business together has not taken its toll. In fact, we clearly acknowledge that VenueQuest is the 3rd spouse in our marriage, and dinner conversations can quickly become board meetings with no effort at all. But this is our life, and we love it. We also love that Dominic is able to have both parents around anytime he needs us. If either of us were working 50+ hours for someone else, we would probably miss the most important part of life, watching our child grow up. Finally, I love that we get to experience the world together as a family. One of the benefits of owning a travel company, is that your work takes you to great places. We have committed to taking Dominic to as many of those places as possible, because neither of us traveled much while growing up. I am proud to say that at 2 years old, Dominic has been on over 30 flights, has 3 stamps in his passport and has seen more of the world at his young age than I did before I was 21. I believe that exposure to things is the best education money can buy. Dominic has been exposed to different cultures, languages and regions, and he is a great traveler... by car, airplane, train, subway, boat... whatever. He is one smart cookie and we are so proud of him!

No comments:

Post a Comment